Silent Night -

For a suspense novel, Silent Night was surprisingly boring. Right from the beginning, it's obvious that the characters are in no real danger, as the "endangered" little boy, Brian, is a definite Thing That Is Good and is of course at no risk of being killed off in a Christmas novel that has faith and parent/child love as its main themes. And since neither of these themes particularly resonate with me--I find the first quite irksome, as a matter of fact--the story had very little emotional impact on me.

It also didn't help that the plot had several almost hilariously contrived moments of attempting to raise the (completely nonexistent) stakes. Characters did and said things that no reasonable, able-minded human would ever do under the circumstances; in the most jarring example, a news reporter broadcasts a report that all but ensures that the kidnapped young child will be murdered by his captor.

Seriously? Even if someone was so desperate to push his/her career forward that they wouldn't care about the life of a child, surely they would understand the legal repercussions they might face if their actions resulted in the child's death? The industry blacklisting they would face? The potential lawsuits? The sheer wrath of the police, the victim's family, and the public at large? Perhaps it's just a case of Reality is Unrealistic, but the whole situation just struck me as so far-fetched and stupid--I mean, isn't there some kind of approval process he has to go through with his boss(es) before he gets to say whatever the hell he wants on camera? So how did that story make it to air in the first place? Everyone at that station's an idiot?--that it marked the point at which I truly stopped caring about the story.

I don' t particularly recommend Silent Night as a holiday read--especially not as a secular Christmas story--but I suppose it might be an emotional book for anyone with whom those aforementioned themes resonate or anyone who has a weakness for stories involving child abduction and/or cancer.

As for me, I can't say it's propelled me to read more of Clark's work. I assume I will eventually, but so far, I am definitely not impressed.